What is pressure ulcer / bedsore / decubitus ulcer?
Pressure ulcers, also known as bedsores or decubitus ulcers, are injuries to the skin and underlying tissue caused by prolonged pressure on the skin.
These ulcers commonly develop on bony areas of the body such as the heels, ankles, hips, and tailbone.
People who are most at risk of developing bedsores are those with medical conditions that limit their ability to change positions or those who spend a significant amount of time in bed or a wheelchair.
Bedsores can develop rapidly, and while most sores can heal with treatment, some may never fully heal. Taking preventive measures and providing appropriate care can help in the healing process.
For many wheelchair users, spending long hours in a wheelchair can lead to various problems, including pain and discomfort. Factors such as excessive pressure and poor sitting posture can increase the risk of pressure-related injuries, resulting in painful pressure sores.
The solution to this problem lies in acquiring a air cushion.
Air cushions provide optimal decompression performance and are particularly suitable for users with sensitive skin and a medium to high risk of pressure injuries.
Here are some recommended wheelchair cushions for pressure relief and comfort:
C03+P08 Wheelchair Air Cushions with Pump
The air cushion is designed to provide you with the freedom to function. It helps in mobility for individuals dealing with pressure sores, aiding in wound healing and preventing new sores from forming while using the wheelchair. The cushion utilizes an alternating air pressure cycle, which can be adjusted to cater to your specific needs. It features a one-piece air cell pad with four air cells for effective air circulation, and a foam insert that supports the thigh area for added comfort. With weight setting functionality, it can accommodate up to 264 lbs. The two-way polyester stretch cover has a non-slip base and is designed for both comfort and easy cleaning. This durable medical equipment is vapor permeable, water-resistant, and fire retardant for enhanced breathability, protection against spills, and added safety.
Adapt power supply: AC100-240Vac 50/60Hz
Fully charged power: 8 hours of use
Cycle time: 12 minutes
Pump size: 27514095mm
Pressure range (mmHg): 20 (low), 40 (medium), 60 (high)
Air output: 6-7 L/min
Static: 10, 20 minutes
Net weight: 1.8KG
- ADVANCED PRESSURE RELIEF CUSHION SYSTEM: Experience the freedom to breathe again with this pneumatic seat cushion. It utilizes an alternating low air pressure cycle that flows through the cushion’s air cells, providing relief to different areas of the body. The alternating pressure allows each area to be relieved, or the cushion can be used in static mode for continuous cushioning.
- AID FOR PRESSURE SORES: Painful pressure sores can severely impact daily functionality and even confine individuals to their beds. A soft medical wheelchair gel cushion can provide freedom. Now, you can spend time in your wheelchair, indoors or outdoors, without the pain of pressure sores or the fear of exacerbating them.
- SUITABLE FOR VARIOUS MOBILE DEVICES: The mobi-seat wheelchair cushion is compatible with almost any wheelchair or geri-chairs. Not only does it fit most chairs, but it is also highly portable. The cushion is designed for on-the-go use, and the pump has a dedicated carrying case for easy transport.
- ADJUSTABLE FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT: Your body has unique needs, which is why this advanced wheelchair pad features pressure sensor technology for intuitive control. It also includes a touchpad with setting controls that provide visual and audible operating status and fault indicators. Additionally, it has a mute button for controlling sound output.
- CONVENIENT RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: While this incredibly comfortable wheelchair seat cushion can be plugged into a wall outlet at home, it also features a rechargeable lithium battery for on-the-go use. A single charge provides up to 12 hours of use, and the battery monitor indicates the charging status, ensuring worry-free usage.
DC005 Air Cushions
The air Cushions is made of skin-friendly, non-sensitive, and medical-grade PVC material. It features a manual pump for inflation and is suitable for various chairs, including cars, wheelchairs, and office chairs. The cushion serves the purpose of massage and pressure sore prevention. It is easy to operate, making it convenient for different user groups.
- FRESH AND DRY: The design maximizes air circulation, allowing air to flow between cells when one cell is compressed. This reduces heat transfer and the discomfort associated with sitting for prolonged periods. It also supports proper posture, prevents excessive sweating, and provides delicate support.
- LONG-LASTING COMFORT: Specially designed with 25 plump 3D air cells covered with breathable Lycra fabric, this cushion provides excellent lumbar support and helps disperse pressure by up to 30%. This reduction in pressure can alleviate aches and pains.
- VERSATILE: The inflatable seat cushion can support up to 300 lbs and can be used wherever needed. Whether you have a long journey ahead, a deadline at the office, or are working on a thesis, this cushion maximizes both productivity and comfort.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Unlike foam support cushions, SUNFICON’s Inflatable Seat Cushion is durable and adjustable. It allows you to easily reach your desired inflation level, whether it’s 70%, 80%, or fully pumped. With hassle-free storage and portability, your posture will thank you for this purchase.
- MADE TO LAST: The high-resilience chair pad is covered with an anti-bacterial Lycra fabric that is durable and easy to clean. The non-slip silica gel grip keeps the cushion in place, and the air pockets are made from eco-friendly TPU materials.
DC501 Air Cushions for Pressure Sores
Introducing the new manual Air Cushions for Pressure Sores. This cushion is extremely beneficial for individuals who need to sit for extended periods.
In terms of material, it differs from ordinary sponge cushions as it has no filler; air is the only filler. The new mosaic-shaped design helps reduce pressure, making it more effective in preventing pressure sores.
- Bouncy, snowflake shape with good massage function.
- Balances hip force, reducing bedsores formation rate.
- Automatically adjusts posture to relieve spinal pressure.
- Enhances hip blood circulation, increases contact area with air, and aids in pressure sore recovery.
HOW TO USE AIR CELL CUSHION?
- Twist the valve counterclockwise to open.
- Attach the silicone hose of the pump to the valve. Slightly overinflate the cushion with the pump.
- Twist the valve closed.
- Place the cushion on the seat, inserting the hand under the buttocks at the boniest point. Slowly open the valve to release air.
- Close the valve when there is at least a fingertip’s distance between the buttocks and the cushion. The cushion should support the buttocks without bottoming out.
- The cushion is ready to use. The inflation level can be adjusted according to personal preference and comfort.
Choosing the right air cushion is crucial for preventing pressure sores and ensuring comfort during extended periods of sitting. The recommended cushions offer a variety of features such as alternating air pressure, pressure relief, and adjustability to cater to different user needs. With their unique designs and materials, these cushions provide excellent support, improve blood circulation, and reduce the risk of pressure-related injuries. It is important to consider individual preferences, needs, and medical requirements when selecting the best wheelchair seat cushion for optimal comfort and well-being.